Treacherous lights at Deptford Bridge

Discussion in 'The Cycle Lane' started by Nico, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Nico

Nico Member

The new traffic light set up at Deptford Bridge is deadly for cyclists joining from the Brookmill Park cycle path. The bike box is set so far back that you don't have time to get out onto the main road before the traffic from Greenwich starts turning right into your path. Anyone interested in petitioning the council about it?

2. Deptford Dame

Deptford Dame Regular

Greenwich Cyclists are onto it and have a commitment from TFL to make improvements, altho they did promise to do the work by now. Might be worth contacting Greenwich cyclists to offer your assistance in chasing them up

3. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

Yep, I have mentioned this on a few websites. Can't remember if I wrote to the council about it but we should put pressure on them. It's a ridiculous set up for an exit to a cycle path. The 1st time I used it I almost got taken out by some idiot driver turning right across my path who then proceeded to yell at me as thoughI was in the wrong!!!

These days I tend to completely ignore the cycle box and traffic lights and head to the very edge of the junction where I am very obvious top cars opposite and wait til I see the traffic opposite start to move (unfortunately that far ahead of the junction the traffic lights are invisible) and then get myself out into the junction before they start to turn, forcing them to slow down and give way. It's clearly illegal but the legal way is utterly, utterly dangerous....

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I contacted TfL early last year and they said they would keep it under review or some such non-commitment, good to see there may be some movement. As has been said, the key is to get moving well before the other cars but even then you stand a good chance of getting some abuse.

5. Headhunter

I don't use that junction very much but I think they may have moved the cycle box and white stop line further forward, not really sure, however it's still not really far enough forward for you to get out into the junction when the lights turn green before some imbecile in a car come piling across your path.... I'll stick to my previous strategy until they move the actual traffic light forward...

6. Roggie

Roggie Respected Local

Traffic lights now moved forwards so should be 'slightly' better. Any feedback welcome - Lewisham and Greenwich cyclists finally got TfL to do something but only after getting Len Duval involved (including a site meeting with 3 TfL officers).

Brockley Jon likes this.
  7. Nico

Nico Member

Thanks guys for all your work on this - I hope it will make a difference, although 'slightly' doesn't fill me with too much hope. Last time I was there at the weekend the whole junction was closed due to a fire in the shops opposite so it was hard to tell. Very easy to cross the road through :)

8. Headhunter

Still not perfect, I think that junction has been 3 way filtered for so long that most drivers still forget that they cannot turn right without watching for traffic coming from the other direction. You need to make sure you are out into the junction before drivers start to turn or you end up getting cut up or nearly knocked off as you try to go straight on... Drivers are just not used to both sides of the junction being green at the same time...

9. tirez

tirez Respected Local

I'd like to know why there are no pedestrian signals at that junction too. There are 8 lanes of traffic for goodness sake! And a college on the north-east corner.

The whole junction is about as awful as junctions can be. Hasn't anyone made any noise about it over the years? I'm amazed it still exists in its current guise...

10. Roggie

Roggie Respected Local

I met with GLA member Len Duvall about a year ago regarding the lights out of Deals Gateway. He was then off with TfL officers to look at the main junction and ped facilities. You should contact Len Len.Duvall@london.gov.uk and Lewisham's walking person, Peter Stunell Peter.Stunell@lewisham.gov.uk for a update.