The Ivy House, 40 Stuart Road, Nunhead, SE15 3BE

Discussion in 'Nunhead' started by rocklands, Jun 22, 2011.

1. rocklands Local

"A classic music hall stage and a performance alumni that includes Elvis Costello and Joe Strummer, this is an institution whose rescue is well worth celebrating" (The Pulse)

The Ivy House, 40 Stuart Road, Nunhead, London SE15 3BE
    Tel: 020 7732 0222 http://www.ivyhouselondon.com/

Music Hall, Kitchen, Three Bars, Real Ales, Acclaimed Touring Artists, Acoustic Folk, Film Nights, Function Room, Quiz Nights, DJs and chef prepared Sunday Roasts.
    The Ivy House is home to a 1920s theatre stage and real ale. It has hosted 'an array of musicians, performance artists and general weirdness.' (Time Out) over the years, including the likes of Jo Brand & Ian Dury.
    A friendly comedy and cabaret circuit favourite, it is also a function and dining room, a film club, the occasional boot sale market and a hub of South East London creatives.

Travel zone 2 - Stuart Road is at the top of Peckham Rye. Buses 343 (5-10 mins from New Cross, 24 hours) and 484. Rail; Brockley (East London Line) and Nunhead
  2. Stuart South East Crusader

My local boozer - great to see it brought back to use. Well done guys!
  3. Mugglesworth Respected Local

Will Pull The Other One be returning to its ancestral home here? It would be a real shame if the comedy/cabaret night was lost to Herne Hill.
  4. Mugglesworth Respected Local

I gave the Sunday lunch a try and thought that it was very good - just be warned that there is no card machine installed yet so take cash or cheque.
  5. oldnewromantic Lives for South East London

I also had Sunday lunch there last weekend and really enjoyed it. They do children's portions for half the price and my four year old ate the lot!! (because she loved it, not because there wasn't enough, cos there was!). Everyone in there was really friendly, it was a nice relaxed atmosphere, and then you can roll down to the park afterwards. Perfect!
  6. DKZ South East Crusader

Missed out on Sunday lunch AGAIN! I keep going too late. Turned up (admittedly, partially to escape the rain on my way home) at 5:30 but they'd sold out of roasts an hour before. Next week, next week....
  7. DKZ South East Crusader

Ok, I came I saw, I liked....

After years of useless managers, dodgy regulars and tepid beer, the Ivy House has miraculously come back from the dead and is well worth a visit I'd say.

Over the past week or so I've had some of the tastiest real ale it's been my pleasure to sink, namely Castle Rock's Harvest Pale and St Austell Tribute, and the aforementioned Sunday roasts aren't half bad either, if you don't get there too late (ie after 4pm).

Nick, the new manager, has persuaded the Easy Come acoustic open mic night thing to return on Wednesday nights, and by all accounts it's going great guns. Anyway, I'd urge anyone reading this to get down there sometime and give Nick the support he deserves for all his hard work turning this place around.
    SE15 Mick likes this.
  8. Cllr Renata Hamvas South East Crusader

Yummy Sunday lunches!
  9. DKZ South East Crusader

Went back again last Sunday and had the pork and stuffing - very tasty and great value.

My only complaint is there were only six people in there, and that included the barman!

Come on SE15ers, support your Ivy!