St Peter's church on Wickham Road is having an open day on Saturday 21st May from 10:30 - 5pm. It's a great opportunity to see the inside the building and climb the bell tower for anyone that hasn't previously been inside. Built: 1866 – 70 Architect: Francis Marrable Listing: Grade II St Peter’s was built in 1866-70 based on Gothic designs by architect Frederick Marrable, occupying grounds that were formerly part of Premonstratensian Abbey. Marrable was responsible for planning Garrick Street and the Garrick Club in Covent Garden. Based on the design of a church in Gerona in Spain, it has an unusually wide and very tall nave. The Victorians embellished it with a wealth of stained glass windows and behind the high altar you can see a beautiful mosaic made of materials from Antwerp and Ravenna. The hand-wound clock in the tower was built by Smiths of Clerkenwell, who also created Big Ben at the Houses of Parliament. It was built as a later addition to the tower and consists of three rather impressive chambers, a great feat of Victorian engineering! St Peter’s underwent renovation in 2006 and now plays host to the still beautiful and ornate Gothic stained glass and high arches, and a mix of colourful modern upgrades.