Cutty Sark restoration at Greenwich dry dock

Discussion in 'Greenwich' started by Raxacoricofallapatorius, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Restoration of the famous Greenwich landmark will be finished well in time for the Olympics. Look at this new pic:

6702798749_5bd5abcfc9_b.jpg

That's huge progress since I was last in Greenwich. I'm undecided on the glass pavilion at the base but will wait to see it finished. But the ship itself is looking magnificent.

Keep up to date with the developments at The Greenwich Phantom and The Cutty Sark itself.
    Dullwitch likes this.
  2. Andrea Member

It's looking a lot better. Wonder how tidied up it will be for the Royal Borough do this weekend.
  3. What's the do this weekend?
  4. Nick Barron Admin

5. I asked the Cutty Sark Trust for the latest information. They said:

We still do not have an official opening date for Cutty Sark, and details are still being finalised with regard to events and also the pricing for admissions

Details will appear on our website as soon as we have them.

You might hope that there would be a deal for GreenwichCard holders - Greenwich Council contributed several million pounds towards the restoration.
    Jung the foreman likes this.
  6. Fadi Fawaz Regular

Great programme on the BBC last night. Did anyone catch it?
  7. Gema Moderator

I saw that programme, it was really interesting. I must admit that I had become pretty tired of the issues surrounding the rebuilding of the Cutty Sark, the amount of money being thrown at it and the time it was taking to complete but 'Cutty Sark: National Treasure' was a really good programme.

If anyone missed it you can watch it on iPlayer here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01bndpp/Cutty_Sark_National_Treasure/
  8. Gema Moderator

9. Gema Moderator

So I managed to snag some free tickets which were offered to Greenwich residents for a peek at the Cutty Sark before its grand opening on 26 April. There was quite a few people in the queue when we arrived (2,400 tickets were allocated to the event) but we didn't have to wait too long before getting inside the new-look venue. I must admit that I was bit concerned about the glass 'greenhouse' surrounding it but once inside it looks pretty impressive! They have updated a lot of the museum pieces and have included interactive stuff too. My favourite bits were the rocking benches which mimic the movement of being at sea (sadly not working when we were visiting), the collection of mastheads and the huge space directly underneath the Cutty itself. Staff were still sorting the place out and there was still builders on site but it should look pretty spectacular when it is all finished!

http://www.rmg.co.uk/cuttysark/

019.JPG 040.JPG 021.JPG 041.JPG 049.JPG
  10. Gema Moderator

11. Gema Moderator

12. Nick Barron Admin

He's been moaning about all the pre-Olympic work in Greenwich for years. He's got too much invested in hating it all to ever give it a fair hearing. I trust the views of SEC members far more.
  13. Gema Moderator

14. Gema Moderator

15. Fadi Fawaz Regular

Isn't the Queen Elizabeth re-opening the Cutty Sark ship tomorrow? Does anyone know what time she will cut?
  16. Gema Moderator

Yep she is apparently. They were spray painting the grass green today in preparation (I'm not joking). I don't think an exact time has been given for her re-opening the Cutty Sark but people have been told to congregate around 10.30am. Hope that helps if you are thinking of heading down there!