Brockley (Lewisham college) to St Pauls route

Discussion in 'The Cycle Lane' started by Richard Elliot, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Richard Elliot

Richard Elliot Fountain of Southern Knowledge

After several years cycling to Canary Wharf I have my favourite route all sorted. I'm now commuting to St Pauls.

Do Brockley cyclists have any favourite routes? Old Kent Road looks like it's the most direct, but I don't find it a pleasant ride with all the traffic.

I have cycled past Wavelengths pool centre and up the A200 / Jamaica Rd. Is there a more direct route?

What are you favourite routes into the city?

Thanks!

2. drew3000

drew3000 Regular

I try to avoid Old Kent Road route at all costs, but it's difficult as I'm essentially commuting to London Bridge. I quite like the canal path portion of it that leads from Pekham to around Burgess Park, though.

3. Richard Elliot

Richard Elliot Fountain of Southern Knowledge

Although I was originally looking to avoid the Old Kent Road I find myself using it as my main cycle route. It is the most direct / quickest way I've found into the city and with all the bus lanes I don't find the traffic too bad.

Burgess Park is great, but sadly isn't particularly on the way for me to get to work.

4. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

Yes, there are worse routes than OKR and going through the side roads definitely make for a slower journey. The bus routes make it a bit safer, although since Boris allowed motorbikes into bus lanes you sometimes find moped and motorbike riders sitting close on your tail or trying to squeeze between you and the queuing traffic at high speed which isn't good. Routes with bus lanes are generally better though than roads like Lewisham way at the New Cross end or the main road passing through New Cross as you're forced into closer proximity to traffic...