Boris Bikes to Go West and East, but South London misses out again

Discussion in 'The Cycle Lane' started by Stuart, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Stuart

Stuart South East Crusader

The Londonist reports that the Boris Bike network is to be extended west to Hammersmith & Fulham and east to Tower Hamlets and Hackney, but no mention at all of Southwark or Lewisham.

The southernmost docking stations are at London Bridge, meaning that most South East Londoners are as cut off from the bike network as they are from the Tube.

The Standard also has a feature on the eastwards expansion. Grr.

2. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

I think the closest docking station to us is around Bricklayers Arms so a little closer than London Bridge but not much better. I agree that it's ridiculous that SE London misses out again. As I mentioned on the main Brockley Central site, Boris Bikes would be the perfect antidote to the almost total lack of travel options to get across south London without having to head to central London and back out again...

3. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

Tried to get a Boris last night at about 6.30 from Fitzrovia. Absolutely nada, nil. Just the broken ones. It's annoying as sometimes it makes so much sense to hop on one, but even if they did come East there's no guarantee you'll actually get one when you want one!

4. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

I've never actually used a Bobike, are they often broken? I cycled past a geezer on one this morning on Blackfriars Bridge and it was the most bizarre sound, almost like a small spaceship in Star Wars. Almost sounded as if he had some mini electrical device making the noise on purpose... Perhaps he did....

5. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

Sounds intriguing! I've not used them a lot, but so far haven't had a broken one myself, or had one that makes the noise of a space craft!

The broken ones I was referring to are actually to do with the docks. Seems that quite often you'll get one or two bikes left where the dock hasn't locked properly (shows a red light), so it won't let you take the bike out until an engineer comes. Or maybe they are reserved in some way? Perhaps a more regular user could fill us in, although we may be on the wrong forum for that! ;)